Share this article:
Happy New Year! Not so long ago you may have made a list of New Year’s Resolutions and, if you are particularly keen, may have already crossed one or two tasks off that list.
But have you thought about making a Will? If you already have a Will, you may wish to have another look at it to ensure that it still accurately reflects your wishes. If you do not have a Will, why not finally cross this important task off your list?
“Why make a Will”, you may ask. There are a number of good reasons for making a Will:-
• You can be in control of who you wish to benefit. If you die without a Will, your estate may be distributed in a way you do not intend.
• You can choose executors to administer your estate.
• You can choose guardians to look after your under-aged children.
• You can decide whether your children should inherit at a certain age.
• You can provide for your partner even if you are unmarried.
• You can specify your wishes in respect of your funeral.
• You can specify your wishes in respect of your pets.
• You can leave your estate subject to as little tax as possible.
Thinking about what happens to your estate on your death may not be a particularly appealing thing to do at the start of a new year, but just imagine how much easier it will be for your family and friends to deal with your affairs if they know exactly what you intended to happen because you made a Will!
So if you would like to cross one more task off your list of New Year’s Resolutions, speak to a qualified solicitor who will be able to advise you on the best way of passing your estate to people that matter to you.
Hauke Harrack, TEP, a solicitor in Hewitsons’ Private Client team, comments: “Here at Hewitsons all our solicitors dealing with the preparation of Wills are members of STEP, the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (designated “TEP”). As such they are required to comply with the additional STEP Code for Will Preparation in England and Wales. This provides our clients with further reassurance that now that they have decided to make or review their Wills, these will be prepared in the most professional manner and to the highest possible standard.”
See our Wills and LPA services page for more information or click here to e-mail Hauke.