Chris is Head of Hewitsons Charities & Education team.
Chris is a charity and education law specialist. He advises all kinds of organisations from start ups to national and international charities, large grant makers, complex service providers, schools, colleges and universities, social enterprises, cooperatives and regulators covering these sectors. He is particularly valued for addressing strategic and commercial issues within the relevant legal and regulatory context. Recent experience has included mergers, joint ventures within and between sectors, commercial enterprises across a range of areas, acquisitions and separations of schools and charities, governance and training needs for a wide variety of organisations, incident and risk management advice, and challenges to regulators’ decisions.
Member of the Charity Law Association and has served on various of their working parties on legal reform. Has written and presented widely on legal issues including for New Law Journal, Charity Finance, Bursars Review, Funding for Independent Schools, Third Sector, Charity Finance Group, National Council for Voluntary Organisations, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, Directory of Social Change and the Almshouse Association.
Ranked in the Chambers & Partners UK Guide to the Legal Profession 2018. A Leading Lawyer in Legal 500 Client’s Guide to the Legal Profession 2017.
"Chris Knight understands and grasps the client’s requirements quickly and suggests tailored creative solutions"
The Legal 500 2017
- Charities - Charities, Education and Social Enterprise
- Charities - Charities Health Check - Governance, Compliance & Risk Management
- Charities - Charities Health Check Employment
- Charities - Charity Corporate Service
- Charities - Grant Making Charities
- Charities - Charity Property Service
- Charities - Tax Efficient Giving to Charity
- Education - Employment Services
- Education - Hewitsons' Schools Service