Agriculture, Food and Rural Business
Hewitsons has the expertise to cover a diverse range of agricultural and rural issues. From rights of way, to legal situations involving wind farms, to equine issues and everything in between. We are proud to have been selected as a member of the NFU Legal Panel Firms to provide support and professional guidance to farmers.
Hewitsons' Rural Business team of agricultural lawyers delivers specialist advice and a gateway to other services of the firm. This gives you the benefit of an integrated approach based on a clear understanding of the way you operate. As ever, we put your needs as a client at the centre of our thinking.
Our agricultural law clients are mainly private individuals running agricultural and rural businesses or who are using farmland as an investment. Many traditional farms are run as partnerships of family members, while some are sole traders. A minority will be run through companies. Whatever the ownership, our advice will be timely, relevant and delivered with an understanding of commercial realities.
We act for a number of charities, including the RSPB, as well as local authorities and public bodies such as HCA.
Specific expertise within the team includes:
- Sale and purchase of farms and farmland, as well as other aspects of the transfer of the farming business; transfer of single payments and any environmental stewardship scheme obligations, and any other agri-environmental schemes
- Grant, termination and dealings with all types of tenancies – agricultural tenancies, residential tenancies (e.g. estate farm cottages) and business leases
- Sales for non-agricultural use: particularly the grant of options and sales of farmland to developers acquiring land for residential and commercial development
- Diversification projects where farmers are seeking additional income from new projects
- Renewable energy projects, including wind farms
- Single payments, environmental stewardship schemes, milk and other quotas
- Mineral leases
- Heritage property
- Sales/purchase/letting of estate/farm cottages and other residential property
- Sporting rights
We can draw on expertise from elsewhere in the firm for:
- Taxation, particularly Inheritance Tax advice
- Wills and succession planning
- Trusts and charities
- Employment issues
- Planning and development matters
- Compliance with environmental legislation
- Partnership matters
- Incorporation of businesses
Hewitsons has been a leader in agricultural law and rural business services for more than 100 years. Our team of agricultural solicitors has the experience, knowledge and relevant professional memberships to go on delivering outstanding service.