We are privileged to act for over 400 charities, educational organisations, institutions and social enterprises. Charities and similar organisations are as diverse as the needs they seek to address, so Hewitsons' Charity and Education lawyers offer broad and flexible services.
Quite simply our Charity and Education lawyers are able to answer virtually any legal need for any charity, educational institution or social enterprise.
Our advice services provide tailored advice and support for:
- Complex, service-providing charities
- Corporate charities
- Grant making charities
- Educational charities
- Social enterprises and other non-profit organisations
- Small charities
Our charity lawyers understand the varied needs of differently structured charities, such as charitable incorporated organisations, guarantee companies, trusts, associations, community benefit societies, royal charter corporations, and charities founded by Act of Parliament.
We deal with charities and similar organisations in a great variety of sectors, including conservation, education, faith based charities, community associations and village hall charities, NGOs and relief and development charities, almshouses, zoos and animal charities, heritage and property charities, theatre and arts charities, residential and care homes, hospices, offender rehabilitation, community foundations, sports and leisure organisations, medical and condition related charities, benevolent funds, youth organisations and wildlife trusts.
Specific services which are available for charities and other institutions:
- Charity law
- Charity proceedings and charity tribunals
- Corporate and commercial
- Development, planning and construction
- Dispute resolution
- Education law
- Employment and pensions
- Environmental law
- Governance and board support
- Health checks on any area, annual or otherwise
- Mergers and collaborations
- Real estate
- Restructuring and group structures
- Risk management and strategic planning
- Small charities
The Charities team sends out a quarterly newsletter that contains important legal updates and advice to those working in the Charities sector. If you would like to be included in this mailing list then please complete this form here. Alternatively you can view all past newsletters in our legal update section.
- Charities - Charities, Education and Social Enterprise
- Charities - Charities Health Check - Governance, Compliance & Risk Management
- Charities - Charities Health Check Employment
- Charities - Charity Corporate Service
- Charities - Grant Making Charities
- Charities - Charity Property Service
- Charities - Tax Efficient Giving to Charity
- Charities - The Fit and Proper Person Requirement for Charities