Hewitsons' team of commercial development solicitors have a wealth of experience when it comes to providing property development advice.Property acquisition and disposal
Our experience of acquisition and assembly of commercial development sites spans:
- Option agreements
- Conditional contracts
- Outright purchase of freehold and leasehold interests
- Acquisition of rights and easements
- Release or variation of restrictive covenants
- Subsequent disposal of developed units
- Investment sales and purchases
- Forward funding sales
With numerous funding arrangements available, our national lawyers have the commercial development experience to present property development advice that helps to secure the most appropriately structured finance.
This could range from straightforward debt finance from banks or other institutional lenders – secured by charge documentation – to more intricate equity linked and participation arrangements such as mezzanine finance.Joint venture and consortium agreements
Here, our commercial development team combines thorough legal and technical skills with commercial savvy and imagination. If a deal is to flourish and deliver profitability, then detailed examination of terms and careful attention to drafting documentation are vital. Both are meat and drink to the team.Assembly, acquisitions and sales
Skillful acquisition of a development site will produce a title which allows you to service and develop it without legal difficulties. It will also satisfy the most painstaking purchaser’s or tenant’s solicitor.
This is a specialist area of commercial development far beyond “conveyancing” and the property development advice we provide is based on a deep understanding of your practical needs and concerns.
Whether your proposals involve immediate or strategic land acquisition, we understand that you will want the site under contract as quickly as possible.
- Ensure the documentation is appropriately drawn and structured to prevent tax or funding problems hampering the development and disposal programme
- Inspect the site
- Undertake a thorough investigation of title
- Make comprehensive pre-contract searches and enquiries, including service enquiries
- Appraise you of progress with tailored reporting systems, including a final detailed written report
- We understand the importance of keeping the disposal programme on schedule and achieving your half-year and year-end targets for commercial development.
Carefully prepared, good quality, comprehensive documentation for purchasers’ or tenants’ solicitors will be despatched immediately we receive instructions.
Sales and lettings are strictly monitored and we keep you informed of progress. We’ll account to you promptly for deposits and sale proceeds and provide a detailed financial statement in your preferred format on completion.Property transfers, leases and rights
As part of our commercial development service, we can advise you on the purchase and sales of freehold leases and underleases, and are able to assist with relevant transactions, such as the grant of leases. This includes the acquisition of grants of easements and all other rights and interests needed for a successful outcome.