- Advice & Support for Businesses
- Advice & Support for Individuals
- Business Immigration
- Consultancy Agreements
- Contracts of Employment
- Data Protection & Privacy
- Disciplinary & Grievances
- Diversity & Discrimination
- Early Conciliation
- Employment Disputes & Tribunals
- Health & Safety
- Policies & Procedures in the Workplace
- Protecting your Business
- Redundancies & Reorganisations
- Settlement Agreements
- TUPE - The Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006
- Trades Unions & Collective Bargaining
- Training & Seminars for Employers
Trades Unions & Collective Bargaining
It is sometimes thought that trades unions are things of the past.
Not so. There are some 150 Trades Unions which appear on the Government’s list of those organisations known to satisfy the definition of a trade union, as well as many other unlisted unions, employee representative associations and other organisations.
The legislation and case law which surrounds the rights and obligations of unions and their members is vast and complicated. Our employment lawyers however have the legal and practical experience to advise businesses on all these areas, including:
- Voluntary and semi-voluntary recognition agreements.
- Collective Agreements.
- Requests by unions for recognition.
- Compulsory recognition processes, including dealings with the Central Arbitration Committee.
- Working to rule and other actions short of a strike.
- Strike action, including advice on the legality of notices to employers, ballot papers and other parts of the process.
- Rights to pay for partial job performance.
- Collective Bargaining.
Businesses will often have workplace representatives in one form or another. These employees have numerous rights, such as to time off for union duties and activities, training and learning. When these rights arise and whether requests for time off are reasonable is complex, but Hewitsons employment solicitors have the skills and experience to advise businesses on all these areas.
"Valerie was absolutely fantastic in her legal strategy & planning & response times with opposing counsel which was the Chairman of the other firm. When this Chairman was not responsive on many occasions - Valerie kept her cool and responded back in an extremely cool & logical manner. I could not have asked for better counsel in my situation as she reacted extremely well in my case against an opposing legal entity that represented a very large Italian EPC company. This case was settled quickly and amicably by her"